The covenantal relationship between a community of faith (congregation or pastoral charge) and ministry personnel is the pastoral relationship. Although there are elements similar to employment, the ordered or designated lay minister is an office holder within The United Church of Canada and so we talk of “covenantal relationship.” These relationships are governed by policy set by the General Council and implemented cooperatively by communities of faith and regional councils. Pastoral Relations policy governs search, selection, calls and appointments between ministry personnel and communities of faith within The United Church of Canada. (from Pastoral Relations: Community of Faith)
Contact the Pastoral Relations Minister for help with:
- finding a new minister,
- resources for transition times,
- M+P committees and conflict resolution,
- licences to administer the Sacraments,
- Licensed Lay Worship leader (LLWL) lists,
- visiting minister options,
- pastoral relationship policy,
- short-term supply ministers,
- sick leave,
- United Fresh Start, or
- hiring a lay program position.
Pastoral Relations resources are on the Pastoral Relations Toolkit page.